The Women, Infants & Children (WIC) program is a supplemental food program funded by the United States Department of Agriculture. Language Assistance Link and Civil Rights Link
WIC is open to:
• Pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women
• Infants and children up to 5 years of age who have a medical or nutritional risk
• Must reside in the county where they receive the WIC benefits
• Must meet income guidelines
• Must be pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding, or be applying for an infant or child in
The WIC Prescreening Tool can be used to determine if you may be eligible for WIC benefits. This Prescreening Tool is not an application for WIC. To apply for WIC benefits, you must make an appointment at your WIC local agency.
WIC Provides nutritional foods and infant formula. Samples of food packages are:
• Pregnant Women and Children - Milk, eggs, cheese, cereal, juice, peanut butter and beans, tortillas or whole wheat bread or brown rice or oatmeal, fruits and vegetables
• Postpartum (women who are no longer pregnant or breastfeeding) Milk, cheese, cereal, eggs, juice, fruits and vegetables, peanut butter or beans
• Breastfeeding Women - All the above plus tuna and salmon
• Infants - Infant formula, cereal and babyfood at appropriate ages
The WIC program enhanced their food packages with changes that follow the FDA recommended nutritional guidelines. This will include offering whole grain choices and fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables for children and pregnant women. Baby food will also be added to infants' food packages at the appropriate age.
Breastfeeding Peer Counseling services is now offered at the health department to WIC participants. The counselors are always on-call to encourage breastfeeding mothers along the way. The health department would like all breastfeeding WIC participants to benefit from this wonderful service. If you are not currently a WIC client, please see the guidelines above to see if you qualify. If you currently receive Illinois SNAP benefits, you automatically qualify. Please call the health department with any questions or to schedule an appointment.